Rosemary Chicken Soup
Recipe type: Soup
Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Soy-Free, SCD, GAPS Stage 1, Paleo
- 1 organic gluten-free cooked rotisserie chicken, or 2 packages of organic chicken legs and thighs.
- 6 large carrots
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 5 stalks celery
- 1 large sprig of fresh rosemary, or 2 Tbsp dried rosemary
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- spring water, enough to cover chicken carcass and veggies
- *Optional: Toasted Pumpkin Seed oil to drizzle on top of soup before eating.
- Remove meat from rotisserie and set aside. Place carcass in large pot (OR) if using legs & thighs, place them in large pot.
- Add onion, celery, rosemary, oregano, salt, and white pepper.
- Add enough water to cover carcass and vegetables. Bring to a boil. Then turn down to simmer for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add whole carrots.
- Simmer for 45 more minutes.
- When cool enough, pour soup into a large bowl through a mesh strainer.
- Pull out carrots and set aside. Set broth aside.
- Discard anything else left in the strainer.
- Taste-test broth to see if it needs a pinch more sea salt.
- Chop reserved chicken into bite-size pieces (OR) pull chicken meat from bones if using legs & thighs.
- Slice carrots into coins.
- In glass Ball jars or old pickle jars, layer chicken and carrots until jar is full. Then, top off with broth.
- Continue filling jars with remaining chicken and carrots. Store any remaining broth up to 7 days, or save broth in freezer safe containers and freeze for later use.
- Once soup is cool, top jars with lids and refrigerate.
- Now you have something to pull out of the fridge during the week! All you have to do is pour contents of one jar into a saucepan. Heat and serve!